ILS goes beyond providing meals by offering individualized nutritional counseling to members. This critical level of personalized support ensures members understand the importance of good nutrition and how following a meals program will positively contribute to their overall health.
Why worry about nutrition?
- Progressive loss of lean body mass is a natural part of aging, with hospital stays greatly exacerbating that process.
- Research suggests that up to 50% of hospitalized patients are malnourished, and many continue to lose weight after discharge, putting them at significant risk of re-hospitalization
- Poor nutrition is linked to slower healing rates, increased risk of complications, delayed recovery, and increased length of stay – costly for plans and providers and life-threatening for members
The Nutritional Support Services program offers:
- Telephonic nutritional assessments
- Regular quality assurance calls and knowledge & behavior assessments to evaluate member progress
- Member access to on-staff licensed dietitian for nutritional questions
**To supplement section with guidance from ILS on counseling services**